As I’m sure you’ve heard (unless you’ve been living under a rock), there’s something going on in China: a Novel Coronavirus has been identified, associated with an outbreak affecting 44 people (one of whom has died and a small number of whom are critically unwell) in Wuhan Providence, China. Here’s what we know so far:
- A mystery cluster of pneumonia-like symptoms were reported in late 2019 from Wuhan Province, China
- A total of 44 people have been affected (according to WHO – although some sources are reporting more)
- One person has died (although were apparently critically unwell to begin with) and some are critically ill
- No human-to-human transmission or infection of healthcare workers has been reported
- Most affected people either worked at or had a recent visit to one seafood market in Wuhan, which has subsequently been closed
And that could be that – or this could develop into a more MERS/SARS-like story. So, watch this space!
Here’s some resources for more info: